Friday, May 11, 2012

85 How I Went From Very Shy to Less Shy

Three groups of people got me to come out of my shell. Camp, GOHTY and GP.
If you ask anyone what I was like up until freshman year, they would tell you that I was the sweet, quiet girl. Even if you ask people today that I don't really know, they'll tell you that. But ask my friends- or really anyone I've had a few conversations with- and they'll give you a completely different answer.
Summer before freshman year was my first year going to camp. I was in a bunk with thirteen other girls I had never met before in my life and I only knew two people in the entire unit. I kind of had to become more outgoing. I became more comfortable talking to complete strangers, and some of those strangers are my best friends today. I came into freshman year talkative and friendly, a different person than I was in eighth grade.
Freshman year, I joined my temple youth group (then called Temple TI's, now called GOHTY). I was the seniors favorite freshman. They loved me, and they were such great role models. They were always incredibly nice and inclusive. If it weren't for that group of seniors, I probably wouldn't be involved in GOHTY at all.
Last but not least, GP. GP is the most supportive group of people I know. I could walk into rehearsal any one day singing Brittany Spears at the top of my lungs, and instead of laughing at me people would join me. We're all a little weird, and being with other people who are comfortable with being a little out there helped me to be comfortable with it.
Sophomore year has been a new Julia. I went to camp again last summer, made even better friends and learned to have fun and not care about what others think. I joined the GOHTY board, learned how to lead programs and services and how to be comfortable in front of other people. And in GP, I had a decent sized role which helped make me more confident in my voice and mostly in my singing.
Eighth grade me was quiet, shy, and not comfortable around anyone besides my small group of friends.
Tenth grade me is loud, talkative, sarcastic, and comfortable with almost everything about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment