Tuesday, May 15, 2012

TU Tuesday- Commencement Speech

http://www.sweetspeeches.com/s/2030-amy-poehler-2011-commencement-address-at-the-harvard-university

Amy Poehler gave a commencement speech for the Harvard class of 2011. At first I thought that was a little weird; why would a comedian give a commencement speech for the best college in the country? As I read on though, she made a bunch of great points. As an example of Poehler's comedic side, she opens up the speech with "Friends, Romans, countrymen: lend me your beers." Later she says "I graduated from Boston College. Which some call the Harvard of Boston." Throughout the speech she makes some funny remarks, but she does have something nice advice to share.
"...the answer to a lot of your life's questions is often in someone else's face." I completely agree with that, and I almost find it funny that she's telling this to a bunch of Harvard grads. I know she meant it as some nice life advice, but it's almost making fun of them. They obviously incredibly smart if they're graduating from Harvard- so I can't help to wonder if Poehler is making fun of the stereotype that nerds don't socialize with other people. I know she's not, but the second time I read through the speech, that's what came to my mind.
It's really great advice though. "Hold someones hand while you do it." I think that's great. It's encouraging these recent grads to try new things and make something out of their life. It's also encouraging them to do it with someone, find someone that makes you happy: whether it be a boyfriend/girlfriend, a friend, a coworker, a family member etc. Spend time with the people in your life, enjoy their company and try new things with them. I think that's awesome. Martin Rutte said "You have to do it by yourself, and you can't do it alone." I think this is a point that Amy Poehler would agree with based on her speech- you may be told that you have to do something alone, but you'll never get anything done without support of loved ones. You need to learn to appreciate the people in your life, as they provide so much for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment